Special Education Teacher
For the current school year, 2013-14
We are looking for a teacher to work with a group of scholars with severe emotional needs. These scholars have incredible potential; they qualify as Tier 3 under Response to Intervention and have IEPs for an emotional disturbance. We are looking for a teacher who will not only be able to teach them rigorous content, but will also be excited to provide the more detailed and targetted behavioral supports that these particular scholars need. This teacher would deliver instruction in core content areas, support instruction happening in our life skills programming (working in the Nautlius Garden, interning on campus for life skills training, etc.) and would ultimately be the person responsible for making sure scholars meet their IEP goals and learning targets. This is a challenging population of scholars and they deserve an excellent education. The person in this role must have the strongest beliefs about the abilities of these scholars to achieve great things, no matter what challenges a scholar may present.
- Manage a case-load of IEPs
- Gather baseline data and ongoing academic growth data on all scholars
- Schedule IEP meetings and ensure all paperwork is in compliance
- Hold high expectations for each student and demonstrate strong teaching skills.
- Collaboratively develop and institute universal student policies within classrooms and throughout the school campus.
- Foster positive rapport and relationships with students.
- Create an enthusiastic and optimistic learning environment.
- Communicate frequently with parents.
- Set and meet measurable goals for students.
- Demonstrate flexibility and creatively embrace the ambiguities of building an organization focused on constant improvement
- Serve on school committees as needed.
- Perform clerical duties, as required, relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
- Remain on call in the evenings to provide student support.
- Desire to work at a college-prep high school rebuilding urban education in the city of New Orleans.
- Desire to grow as a teacher and person.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Deep belief that all students, regardless of their backgrounds and educational pasts, have the potential to succeed in college and beyond, and that it is the responsibility of schools to help students realize that potential.
- Deep belief that even the most challenge students - those who demonstrate strong behaviors regularly that indicate their lack of readiness for life beyond high school - can and will achieve great things.
- Strong knowledge in content area of choice.
- 2 years of full time teaching experience preferred
Email your resume and cover letter to Soraya Verjee, Director of Human Capital, at email@example.com.